December 13, 2014

What a trip! Intern Sues Company in Discrimination Suit under Rhode Island's Medical Marijuana Law.

Intern Sues Company in Discrimination Suit under Rhode Island's Medical Marijuana Law. 

Facts: Christine Callaghan a graduate student at The University of Rhode Island thought she was accepted for a paid internship with Darlington Fabrics, one of the only surviving textile manufacturers in Rhode Island. Callaghan met with human resources prior to beginning the internship. Callaghan told HR of her medical marijuana card due to her severe migraines. Couple days later HR contacts Christine Callaghan and denies internship because of her medical marijuana use. Callaghan assures DF that she would not smoke on the job nor show up to work under the influence of marijuana. 

Rules: According to law.com & the ACLU . . .
  • Rhode Island has a medical marijuana act that prohibits discrimination. See INTERN
  • Potential employer's failure to hire a medical marijuana patient because of status . . . constitutes a violation of the RI Civil Rights Act.  See ACLU
I have a couple questions to ask. . . Opinions are more than welcome. 

1) Why am I reading this when I should be studying for my Finals that are in less than five days? 
  • I have the answer for this. Because I can. But really, I think it is good to use all aspects of the mind. Law works one portion and reading stories such as these works another portion of the brain. I'm conducting a little brain work out and relax and stretch. 
2) Has anyone suffered a migraine that they could control as to when, where and what time the migraine would occur? 
  • When I was younger I suffered from severe migraines. There was no telling when they were going to arrive. I always had medication on me because at that time that was all I knew was available. Sometimes even the medicine did not work and I was completely unresponsive. It does bother me slightly that she supposedly said she wouldn't take the medicine with her to work. 
3) The ACLU might be on an uphill battle with the Federal Government and the DEA. Anyone agree? 
  • Yes. The DEA is a branch of the Federal Government. It is early in the morning, I just finished a nine hour study session. Grazti for your understanding. :-) 
4) Anyone else find absolute humor in her last name? I'll give you a clue. . . Callahan Auto Parts from the movie Tommy Boy. 
  • Paramount Studios Official Trailer of the Movie Tommy Boy. R.I.P. Chris Farley. 

No comments:

Post a Comment